Are you trying to understand why your visitors are leaving before signing up or making a purchase? Consider running an Exit Survey to catch your visitors who don't plan to convert.
This video highlights some of our most popular Exit Survey scenarios.
Here are a few possible questions to help uncover this objective:
- "Is there anything preventing you from signing up at this point?"
- "Is our pricing clear?"
- "Was there anything about this checkout process that we should improve?"
- "Is there anything on this site that doesn't work the way you expected it to?"
- "What was your biggest fear or concern about using us?"
- "If you did not make a purchase today, can you tell us why not?"
- "What would've convinced you to complete the purchase of the item(s) in your cart?"
Please see our help article, What Questions Should I ask?, for even more ideas!
Unlike the success page survey, we recommend listing 2 to 3 options for people to choose from with one "other" option that allows for a write it, or phrasing the question so it can be answered with "Yes" or "No", then branching to a write-in. The write-ins you get from this survey will be the most useful, but since we've targeted a group that's already made the conscious decision to leave your site, it's important to engage them with a question that's quick to answer prior to giving them a write-in option.
If you need help understanding all the options available within the Survey Editor, please visit this portion of our Help Center.
Recommended targeting options
- Where should this survey appear?: It depends on the content of the survey. Make sure you only target the areas of the site where asking your question makes sense.
- Who should be prompted to take this survey?: Review Google Analytics information for average of pages visited and length of time on a page before abandoning. Recommend focusing on anyone who comes to your site.
- When should this survey be displayed?: When it looks like someone is about to abandon the page
- How often should this survey be displayed?: Continue showing until visitor provides a response.
If you need help understanding all the options available within the Targeting Section, please visit this portion of our Help Center.
These are just suggestions. We recommend experimenting to see what works best for you!
While the suggestions mentioned are a great place to start, we ask you to keep in mind that what may work well for some many not work for all. Constantly test and tweak your surveys to hone in on what works best for your circumstances. Click here to see how we recommend making changes to your surveys to get better results.