Not everyone has the ability to test their surveys in a local or staging environment. The good news is you can set a cookie within your own browser, and test the survey by targeting that cookie.
First, you need to set up the correct targeting settings on your survey:
- Keep the targeting exactly the same, but go under the Target: Advanced section
- Click on the box next to "When specified cookies are present on the user's browser" and add "testcookie"
- Change when the survey should load to "Immediately after the page loads", and the frequency to "Continue showing even if a visitor has responded"
Once you've done this step, it's safe to activate the survey.
Next, you need to set a cookie in your browser. To do this, follow these steps
- Using Chrome, open an incognito browser.
- Access one of the pages you've targeted your survey to
- There will be a blue command prompt in the window. Add the string
document.cookie = "testcookie=1; expires=Thu, 18 Dec 2020 12:00:00 UTC";and hit "Enter" on your keyboard
- Refresh your browser. The survey will show up!