Asking visitors where they first heard about your site or product is a key part in understanding your visitors as a whole. While we can gather some of this data via analytics, asking new visitors to your site is the best method of obtaining this information.
This is a concept that is discussed in the "Golden questions" that reveal exactly why your visitors aren't converting webinar.
Example 1: Ask where they heard about you, or how they found the site
Possible questions to ask to help uncover this objective:
- "Where exactly did you first find out about us?"
- "How did you find our site?"
- "What were the search terms you used to find our site?"
Recommended answer type: Text based answer
For this objective we strongly recommend not giving visitors a list of options. Reason being is this method can and will work against you by effectively leading the customer to the information or sources you already know about. We want to uncover the answers that we don't already know, and the best way to do this is to give your visitors the opportunity to tell you what they think.
Example 2: Allow them to opt-in to the survey
This alternative survey uses a screener to allow visitors to "opt-in" to the survey.
Screener question: "Would you like to answer one question that could help us better understand your needs?"
Answer options: "Yes/No thanks"
- Clicking "Yes" leads to "Where exactly did you first find out about us?" with a free form response
- Clicking "No Thanks" leads to the "Thank You" screen
If you need help understanding all the options available within the Survey Editor, please visit this portion of our Help Center.
Recommended targeting options
- Where should this survey appear?: The homepage, category pages, product pages.
- Who should be prompted to take this survey?: All or a portion of your traffic. You can also focus on "Came to your site from a search engine" if you want to specifically target new visitors.
- When should this survey be displayed?: Either a 3-5 second delay at the page level, or after the visitor has seen 2-3 pages on your site.
- How often should this survey be displayed?: Only show once per visitor. We never recommend using a different frequency with text-based answer types.
Our recommended targeting setup focuses on people who most likely discovered your site by search, and asks people how they first found out about your site within moments of coming to your site. You could focus on a smaller percentage by adjusting the traffic percentage just under "Who should be prompted to take this survey?"
If you need help understanding all the options available within the Targeting Section, please visit this portion of our Help Center.
These are just suggestions. We recommend experimenting to see what works best for you!
While the suggestions mentioned are a great place to start, we ask you to keep in mind that what may work well for some many not work for all. Constantly test and tweak your surveys to hone in on what works best for your circumstances. Click here to see how we recommend making changes to your surveys to get better results.